Wonderful spicy persian/gujarati stew.
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 x chicken breast or equivalent amount chicken thighs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed/finely diced
- 20g ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1-4 serrano chilli pepper(s), finely diced
- 1: mild, 4 (incl seeds): spicy
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 600ml chicken stock
- 150g dried red split lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 20g sugar
- Toast the garam masala in a large frying pan
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the spice and fry the onions ~5 minutes
- Add the chicken to pan and brown, add garlic, ginger and chili pepper, fry 20 secs
- Add tomatoes, lentils, stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and simmer lid on for 90 mins
- Simmer lid off ~10 mins to thicken sauce. Add sugar and season to taste.
- Add the lime juice
Serve with rice and sprinkle with coriander.